Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Across the Universe"

by Beth Revis, YA, 2011, 398p, rating=3
"Amy and her parents believe they will wake on a new planet, Centauri-Earth, three hundred years in the future.  But fifty years before Godspeed's scheduled landing, cryo chamber 42 is mysteriously unplugged, and Amy is violently woken from her frozen slumber.  Someone tried to murder her.  Now, Amy is caught inside a tiny world where nothing makes sense.  Godspeed's 2,312 passengers have forfeited all control to Eldest, a tyrannical and frightening leader.  And Elder, Eldest's rebellious teenage heir, is both fascinated with Amy and eager to discover whether he has what it takes to lead.  Amy desperately wants to trust Elder.  But should she put her faith in a boy who has never seen life outside the ship's cold metal walls?  All Amy know is that she and Elder must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets before whoever woke her tries to kill again." (book's blurb)
This had the potential to be a very frexing, brilly book but I was a chuntz and fell for the hype!  Okay, I had to do it.  In trying to be clean and teenage-hip in language these words in the book just got childish and annoying.  Oddly enough, in general this book was a page turner.  I got sucked into the plot and wanted to see it through.  Yet, as fascinating as it was it left me empty.  I was floored because the suspense, the dystopian angle, and the budding romance were enticing so I was expecting a wow ending. But by book's end, Nada!  I can't find the words to describe it.  Something was missing.  What comes to mind is lack of depth and meaning.  It didn't even give me the feeling of being left hanging and anxiety for the sequel.  I was sorely disappointed.  I hope the next book makes up for it.

I was generous with the rating because for an almost 400 page book, it was quick and entertaining for the moment's read.

P.S.  I actually won a copy of this book from Kristin @Beneath Shining Stars last December but I can't seem to find it, so this is a library borrowed book.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the very honest review. That helps, as now, this book will be a maybe for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates