Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Bed of Roses"

by Nora Roberts, Bride Quartet #2, AF, 2009, Playaway digital audio, 9hrs, rating=3
source: library

Since she was a little girl, Emma Grant has always loved romance. So it’s really no surprise that she has found her calling as a wedding florist. She gets to play with flowers every day and work with her three best friends in the process. She couldn’t ask for a better job…
And on the surface, Emma’s love life seems to be thriving. Slim and sultry, she brings color into every room she enters, just like the arrangements she creates. Though men swarm around her, she still hasn’t found Mr. Right. And the last place she’s looking is right under her nose.
But that’s just where Jack Cooke is. He’s been best friends with Parker’s brother for years, which makes him practically family. But the architect has begun to admit to himself that his feelings for Emma have developed into much more than friendship. And when Emma returns his passion—kiss for blistering kiss—things start to get complicated at Vows.
Jack has never been big on commitment. Emma yearns for a lifelong love affair. And if the two are to find common ground, they must trust in their history—and in their hearts… (book cover)

This was Emma and Jack's story ...a romance about friends-to-lovers relationship.  The dynamic of such a relationship to the couple and to those of their mutual friends.  I was captivated because I can relate to Emma.  I once was a dreamy girl like Emma.  I had dreams of what I want Mr. Right to be; to sweep me off my feet, to be exactly in tuned with me, etc.  Those dreams indirectly became expectations and I was in for a wake-up call, just like Emma!  Emma's added bonus of course was that she had to deal with having to be around Jack when things got bad.  Having mutual friends also put it another kink in the mix.  Some friends just had to be on a standby mode.  So this made for complex situations and a lot of self evaluation.  In the end, Emma and Jack figured some things out and we'll know more in book #3.

Overall a decent chick-lit. I like that the bond of friendship was embraced and emotions palpable.  Qualities of a read that are a big plus in my book.

By the way, I did find my Mr. Right that swept me off my feet ..and the rest we're working on together!  For example, I can't always assume he knows what's on my mind and vice versa so good communication is key.  Something that Emma and Jack seems to be on the path towards.

5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh i read this book... absolutely amazing! :D I'm in love with the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read the first one in this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the bag of books my sister-in-law thought I might like to read - I have to confess I didn't think I'd relly like this but your review has made me think that perhaps I might.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the first one either! I see them in the library and haven't the clue they're series so I usually end up reading them out of order. Still entertaining as a stand alone. --Thanks for stoppin' by ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book as fantastic! Sweet, funny, heart-wrenching, and wonderful. Nora Roberts really knows how to get you too connect with her characters. Emma is so sweet and trusting and Jack is a man's man. A sexy man's man at that. I think that so many people can relate to this story. How many of us women want to get married and have our own fairytale ending? Nearly all. And how many men cringe at the word marriage? Nearly all. This story is fantastic at showing how 2 different people, especially 2 people who've known each other for years, can fall in love and have 2 separate dreams become one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates