Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Finding a Balance ..I Know You Can Relate

I've got to find a balance! I take too long composing reviews and it is so frustrating!!  Also, I can't believe that I've gotten to a point where this blog is this close (thumb-index finger an inch apart) to taking over my life!  It's constantly in my thoughts and it's downright crazy and exhausting!  So I'm going to experiment and try to find ways to bring back the fun in blogging and let it not be such a chore and time consuming!! 

Today, I'm reviewing in acrostic.  Don't be surprise if you find future reviews in just "the bottom line".  Maybe I'll have periods of MIAs.  Whatever the case may be, I have to dramatically cut down the addictive, evil powers of blogging! Am I right, ladies and gentlemen ..you can relate?  :D

By the way, those books that I have accepted to review will be given full assessment as expected.

True Grit by Charles Portis, AF, 1968, 224p, rating=3.5
Source: library

With its excitement, its aliveness, its comic sympathy and originality, True Grit swoops the reader up and gallops him off into a classic American adventure in a classic American landscape, freshly and brilliantly perceived.
The action - and what action! - begins on page 1, as Mattie Ross, a fourteen-year-old girl from Dardanelle, Arkansas, sets out in the winter of eighteen seventy-something to avenge her daddy, treacherously shot to death by a no-good drunken outlaw. Since not even Mattie (who is no self-doubter) would ride into Indian Territory alone, she "convinces" one-eyed "Rooster" Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, to tag along with her.
As Mattie outdickers and outmaneuvers the hard-bitten types whose first reaction is "Run home, little britches, your mamma wants you," as her performance under fire makes them eat their words, her indestructible vitality and harsh innocence by turns amuse, horrify and touch the reader. What happens - to Rooster, to Mattie, to the gang of outlaws unfortunate enough to tangle with her - rings with the dramatic rightness of legend and the marvelous overtones, the continual surprises, of personality.
True Grit is eccentric, cool, straight and unflinching, like Mattie herself, who tells the story a half-century later in a voice that sounds strong and sure enough to outlast us all. It is a voice never quite heard before and at the same time instantly recognizable as totally original and totally alive. (Goodreads)

This was highly
Recommended by a blogger so I gave it a shot.
Undoubtedly fascinating.
Engaging storyline. Told by Mattie 50 years later.

Gotta add that there were very funny moments.
Rooster was a great complement to Mattie.  Grit plus spunk equals
Incredible western dialogue.  A definite
Try it out read.  BTW, no, I didn't see the movie adaptations but I'll look for it.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates