Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, December 17, 2012

"To Kill a Mocking Bird"

by Harper Lee, AF, 1960, 323p, rating=5
Read: August 2012
Source: library

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unswerving honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930s. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence, and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina and quiet heroism of one man's struggle for justice—but the weight of history will only tolerate so much.
One of the best-loved classics of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird has earned many dis-tinctions since its original publication in 1960. It has won the Pulitzer Prize, been translated into more than forty languages, sold more than forty million copies worldwide, and been made into an enormously popular movie. It was also named the best novel of the twentieth century by librarians across the country (Library Journal). HarperCollins is proud to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the book's publication with this special hardcover edition. (Goodreads)

This is the best classics book I've read so far (though I've only read a few).  It truly lives up to all the hype.  So if you haven't read it yet, treat yourself to a wonderful reading experience and be sure to get your hands on this gem!

This story provided an awakening to some people's impudent thinking.  That in mind, I demanded and cried for simple human decency and glad that this book delivered. 

Incredible cast of characters, thought provoking, and illustrated a nostalgia for nobility.  Definitely my kind of book!  I'm one happy reader.  :D

classicsclub
Qualifies for this challenge

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Another fan of TKAMB. I myself read it for the first time this past year and WOW...it just blew me away. Thanks for sharing...and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm sorry to say, that some future classics youread might not live up to this one. But some will (not that I've read that many of them.) In fact, since TKAM was never part of my educational experience, I first read it a couple years ago, and pretty much agree with your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome GMR! It blew me away too!! --Great to see you hear again Annette. Thanks for stopping by ..hmm, I better choose wisely with the next classics I read then! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates