Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins, YA, 2011, audio CDs, 9hrs, Rating=2
Source: library

"You're going to fall in love with Lola and the Boy Next Door. Madly in love!"
--Sarah Mlynowski, author of Bras & Broomsticks and Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have)
Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. But even though Lola's style is outrageous, she's a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.
When Cricket--a gifted inventor--steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy
next door. (Goodreads)

According to Goodreads stats, over 23,000 people rated this book and currently ending up with the average total of 4 stars (really like it).  Looks like I'm in the minority. 

I was quickly annoyed by Lola's character.  Her reminiscent days with dear handsome Cricket turned into a whining song throughout the book.  She was definitely different from others all right.  It seemed like she tried so hard to be out of the box that she ended up being a wishy washy and unfaithful person.  Bummer!

The love triangle story here just didn't click for me.  Also, I'm not sure how accurate of a depiction of a teenage spirit this was.  Perhaps, I'm just hoping this isn't what I have to look forward to when my six year old daughter turns 16.  She'll be an angel, right?  But seriously, the flaw in the book was character quality and not Ms Perkins's writing style.  There was fine writing that outfitted each character with adequate depth.  That's why I'm able to be critical of Lola. 

Overall, this companion book didn't measure up to it's predecessor Anna and the French Kiss in quality story.



3 comments:

  1. I rated this book 4, but I have to agree, I was not the biggest fan of Lola.. when you mentioned love triangle.. i was like "huh?..." then i remembered. But if you mention the tiniest detail in Anna and the French Kiss.. i would totally remember it. I agree, Lola seemed so much older than 16.. I wasn't the biggest fan of the plot but still love perkins ;)

    great review
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like this one has mixed reviews. I haven't read it, but it's interesting to find a character annoyed you and the first person to comment on your post. I had a reviewer say that one of my minor characters really annoyed her and made her angry. I applauded because that's exactly what that character should have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah, I thought this one would live up to Anna and the French Kiss but your review convinces me that it just falls flat. Annoying main characters and a fizzling romance don't do anything for me.

    Thanks for your thoughts! xo

    Karielle @ Books à la Mode

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates